Alleghany County, Virginia Genealogy
Alleghany County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Alleghany Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Alleghany County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.alleghanycounty.us/
- Created Date / Origin: and was formed from Bath County, Botetout County and Monroe County, West Virginia in 1822, additional parts of Bath County (1823) and Monroe County, West Virginia (1843) were added.
- County Seat: Covington
- Named After: the Alleghany Mountains
- Bordering Counties: Bath County (north), Rockbridge County (east), Botetourt County (southeast), Craig County (south), Monroe County, West Virginia (southwest), Greenbrier County, West Virginia (west).
- Cities & towns include: Covington, Clifton Forge, Iron Gate, Low Moor and Selma.
Alleghany County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Alleghany County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Highlands Genealogical Society, 515 East Pine Street, Covington, VA 24426
- Alleghany County Historical Society, 149 N. Maple Avenue, P.O. Box 384, Covington, VA 24426; 540-965-0149
- Charles P. Jones Memorial Library, 406 West Riverside Street, Covington, VA 24426; (540) 962-3321
- Clifton Forge Public Library, 535 Church Street, Clifton Forge, VA 24422; Phone: (540) 863-2519
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alleghany County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Alleghany County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Alleghany County
- Alleghany County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Alleghany County
- Alleghany County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Alleghany Co. Virginia
Alleghany County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Alleghany County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Alleghany County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Alleghany county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. (note from Circuit Clerk) "all records on birth and death which exist here are simply informal and unofficial records deposited here without sanction by the clerk over the years for a lack of a better place to put stray records. none of them is a court record and none can be certified. this includes the roster maintained throughout virginia in the 1850s to 1870s(?) for births and deaths. those records, if any, are properly obtained from the bureau of vital statistics in richmond."
- Alleghany County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 670, Courthouse, 266 West Main Street, Covington, VA 24426-0670
- Phone: (540) 965-1730
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Land Records: 1669
- Court Records: 1778
- Probate Records: 1772
- Alleghany County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- Clifton Forge Health Department, 322 Jefferson Avenue, P. O. Box 15, Clifton Forge, VA 24422; Phone: (540) 862-4131
- Covington Health Department, 321 Beech Street | P.O. Box 747, Covington, VA 24426; Phone: (540) 962-2173
- Virginia Department of Health has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; Virginia Obituary Records; Virginia Military Records; Virginia Family Tree Records; Virginia Pictures; Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Alleghany County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Alleghany County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Alleghany County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Alleghany Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Alleghany Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Alleghany Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Alleghany Co. VA Census Records
Alleghany Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Alleghany Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Alleghany Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Alleghany Co. VA General and History Websites
Alleghany Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Alleghany Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Alleghany Co. VA Military Records
Alleghany Co. VA Schools & Directories