Augusta County, Virginia Genealogy
Augusta County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Augusta Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Augusta County Quick Facts
- Government Website:www.co.augusta.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1738 and was formed from Orange County (Authorized in 1738, but the government was not formed until 1745. See also Montgomery County)
- County Seat: Staunton
- Named After: Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, the Princess of Wales
- Bordering Counties: Pendleton County, West Virginia (north), Rockingham County (northeast), Albemarle County (east), Nelson County (southeast), Rockbridge County (southwest), Bath County (west), Highland County (northwest).
- Cities & towns include: Craigsville, Grottoes (partial). The Independent City of Staunton and Independent City of Waynesboro (incorporated as such in 1902 and 1948 respectively) are located within the boundaries of Augusta County, but are not a part of the county.
Augusta County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Augusta County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Augusta County Geneaogical Society, PO Box 436, Fishersville Va 22939. We have an office located at 22 South New Street, Staunton VA. No telephone is available at this time.
- Augusta County Historical Society, 20 South New Street, P.O. Box 686, Staunton, VA 24402-0686; Telephone: 540-248-4151
- William Thompson Genealogical and Historical Society, Glenn W. Thompson, Jr., P.O. Box 1391, Waynesboro, VA 22980-0933
- Augusta County Library, 1759 Jefferson Hwy., Fishersville, VA 22939; Phone: (540) 949-6354
- Churchville Branch Library, 3714 Churchville Ave, Churchville, VA 24421; Phone 540-245-5287
- Augusta County Central Library, Route 250 & Intersection 608, P.O. Box 600, Fishersville, VA 22939; (540) 885-3961
- Waynesboro Public Library, 600 South Wayne Avenue, Waynesboro, VA 22980; (540) 942-6746
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Augusta County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Augusta County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Augusta County
- Augusta County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Augusta County
- Augusta County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Augusta Co. Virginia
Augusta County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Augusta County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Augusta County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Augusta county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county.
- Augusta County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 689, Augusta County Courthouse, 1 East Johnson Street, Staunton, VA 24402-0689
- Phone: (540) 245-5321
- Marriage Records: 1785
- Land Records: 1745
- Court Records: 1745
- Probate Records: 1745
- Augusta County Property Records Search
- Augusta County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Augusta County Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; Virginia Obituary Records; Virginia Military Records; Virginia Family Tree Records; Virginia Pictures; Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Augusta County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Augusta County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Augusta County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Augusta Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Augusta Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Augusta Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Augusta Co. VA Census Records
Augusta Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Augusta Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Augusta Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Augusta Co. VA General and History Websites
Augusta Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Augusta Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Augusta Co. VA Military Records
Augusta Co. VA Schools & Directories