Buckingham County, Virginia Genealogy
Buckingham County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Buckingham Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Buckingham County Quick Facts
Buckingham County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Buckingham County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Historic Buckingham, Inc. , P.O. Box 152, Buckingham, VA 23921: (434) 969-4431
- Historic Village at Lee Wayside
- Buckingham County Public Library, Rt. 4, Box 530, Dillwyn, VA 23936, 804-983-3348
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Buckingham County Branch Library, Main at Mitchell, Dillwyn, VA 23936, Phone 434-983-3848
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Buckingham County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Buckingham County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Buckingham County
- Buckingham County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Buckingham County
- Buckingham County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Buckingham Co. Virginia
Buckingham County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Buckingham County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Buckingham County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Buckingham county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. County court records were destroyed by fire in 1869. One plat book survived and some wills and deeds were later recorded.
- Buckingham County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 13061 W. James Anderson Hwy., P. O. Box 107, Buckingham, VA 23921-0107
- Phone: (434) 969-4734
- Marriage Records: 1784
- Land Records: 1762
- Court Records: 1869
- Probate Records: 1868
- Buckingham County Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Buckingham County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Buckingham County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Buckingham County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Buckingham Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Buckingham Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Buckingham Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Buckingham Co. VA Census Records
Buckingham Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Buckingham Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Buckingham Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Buckingham Co. VA General and History Websites
Buckingham Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Buckingham Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Buckingham Co. VA Military Records
Buckingham Co. VA Schools & Directories