Grayson County, Virginia Genealogy
Grayson County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Grayson Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Grayson County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.graysoncountyva.com/
- Created Date / Origin: 1792 from Wythe County (Part of Patrick County was added in 1810)
- County Seat: Independence
- Named After: William Grayson, U.S. Senator from Virginia
- Bordering Counties: Johnson County, Tennessee (southwest), Washington County (west), Smyth County (northwest), Wythe County (northeast), Ashe County, North Carolina (south), Alleghany County, North Carolina (south), Surry County, North Carolina (southeast), Carroll County (east).
- Cities & towns include: Fries, Independence, Troutdale, Mouth of Wilson and Elk Creek
Grayson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Grayson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Galax-Carroll Regional Library, 608 West Stuart Drive, Galax, VA 24333, (540) 236-2042
- Grayson County Public Library (276) 773-3018
- Grayson County Historical Society , PO Box 529, Independence, VA 24348-9529, (540) 773-9041, Publishes Glimpses of Grayson
- Grayson County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Grayson County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Grayson County
- Grayson County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Grayson County
- Grayson County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Grayson Co. Virginia
Grayson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Grayson County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Grayson County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Grayson County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Grayson County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 130, 129 Davis Street, Independence, VA 24348-0130
- Phone: (276) 773-2231
- Marriage Records: 1793
- Land Records: 1793
- Court Records: 1793
- Probate Records: 1793
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Grayson County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Grayson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Grayson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Grayson Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Grayson Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Grayson Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Grayson Co. VA Census Records
Grayson Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Grayson Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Grayson Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Grayson Co. VA General and History Websites
Grayson Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Grayson Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Grayson Co. VA Military Records
Grayson Co. VA Schools & Directories