Madison County, Virginia Genealogy
Madison County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Madison Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Madison County Quick Facts
Madison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Madison County Historical Society, P.O. Box 467, Madison, VA 22727; It is also possible to contact the society through volunteers at the Arcade Building by calling the Arcade at (540) 948-5488.
- Madison County Library, 402 North Main Street, Madison, VA 22727, (540) 948-4720
- South Central Virginia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Charlotte C.H., Va 23923
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Madison County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
- Madison County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Madison Co. Virginia
Madison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Madison County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Madison County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Madison County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 1 Main Street, P. O. Box 220, Madison, VA 22727-0220
- Phone: (540) 948-6888
- Marriage Records: 1793
- Land Records: 1792
- Court Records: 1793
- Probate Records: 1793
- Madison County Commissioner of Revenue
- Madison County Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; Virginia Obituary Records; Virginia Military Records; Virginia Family Tree Records; Virginia Pictures; Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Madison County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Madison County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Madison County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Madison Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Madison Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Madison Co. VA Census Records
Madison Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Madison Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Madison Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. VA General and History Websites
Madison Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Madison Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. VA Military Records
Madison Co. VA Schools & Directories