Mathews County, Virginia Genealogy
Mathews County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Mathews Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Mathews County Quick Facts
Mathews County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mathews County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Mathews County Historical Society, Inc., 1001 Brickbat, P.O. Box 855, Mathews, VA 23109
- Mathews Memorial Library, Main Street, P.O. Box 980, Mathews, VA 23109, (804) 725-5747
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mathews County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Mathews County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mathews County
- Mathews County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mathews County
- Mathews County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Mathews Co. Virginia
Mathews County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Mathews County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Mathews County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mathews county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. All county court records were burned in Richmond on 3 April 1865. At least two bond books, one plat book, and a number of fee books survive.
- Mathews County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 463, 10622 Buckley Hall Road, Mathews, VA 23109
- Phone: (804) 725-2550
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Land Records: 1817
- Court Records: 1795
- Probate Records: 1795
- Mathews County Commissioner of Revenue
- Mathews County Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; Virginia Obituary Records; Virginia Military Records; Virginia Family Tree Records; Virginia Pictures; Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Mathews County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Mathews County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Mathews County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Mathews Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mathews Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mathews Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mathews Co. VA Census Records
Mathews Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mathews Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Mathews Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mathews Co. VA General and History Websites
Mathews Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Mathews Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mathews Co. VA Military Records
Mathews Co. VA Schools & Directories