Montgomery County, Virginia Genealogy
Montgomery County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Montgomery Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Montgomery County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.montva.com/
- Created Date / Origin: 1775 from Fincastle County (Part of Botetourt County was added in 1789 and part of Pulaski County was added in 1842)
- County Seat: Christiansburg
- Named After: Richard Montgomery, Revolutionary War general
- Bordering Counties: Craig County (north), Floyd County (south), Giles County (northwest), Pulaski County (southwest), and Roanoke County (east).
- Cities & towns include: Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Alleghany Springs, Cambria, Childress, Ellett, Elliston-Lafayette, Graysontown, Ironto, Long Shop, Lusters Gate, Merrimac, McCoy, McDonalds Mill, Pilot, Prices Fork, Riner, Rogers, Shawsville, Sugar Grove, Vicker,Walton, Tom's Creek and Yellow Sulphur Springs
Montgomery County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library, 125 Sheltman Street, Christiansburg, VA 24073, (540) 382-6965
- Historical Society of Southwest Virginia, P.O. Box 3877 , Wise, VA 24293
- Montgomery Museum and Lewis Miller Regional Art Center, 300 South Pepper Street, Christiansburg, VA 24073,
- New River Historical Society, Wilderness Road Regional Museum,
5240 Wilderness Road, P.O. Box 373, Newbern, VA 24126; 540-674-4835 (museum), fax: 540-674-1266
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Montgomery County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montgomery County
- Montgomery County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Montgomery Co. Virginia
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Montgomery County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Montgomery county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Includes records of Augusta County(1750-72) and Fincastle County (1772-76).
- Montgomery County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 1 E. Main Street, Suite B-5, Christiansburg, VA 24073-3036
- Phone: (540) 382-5760
- Marriage Records: 1773
- Land Records: 1750
- Court Records: 1773
- Probate Records: 1753
- Montgomery County (VA) Treasurer
- Montgomery County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; Virginia Obituary Records; Virginia Military Records; Virginia Family Tree Records; Virginia Pictures; Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Montgomery County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Montgomery County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Montgomery County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Montgomery Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Annals of Southwest Virginia, 1769-1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Montgomery Co. VA Census Records
Montgomery Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Montgomery Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. VA General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Montgomery Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. VA Military Records
Montgomery Co. VA Schools & Directories