New Kent County, Virginia Genealogy
New Kent County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your New Kent Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
New Kent County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.new-kent.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1654 from York County
- County Seat: New Kent
- Named After: Kent County, England
- Bordering Counties: King William County (north), King and Queen County (east), James City County (southeast), Charles City County (south), Henrico County (southwest), Hanover County (west).
- Cities & towns include: Baltimore Crossroads, Bottoms Bridge, Eltham, Lanexa, New Kent Courthouse, Providence Forge, Quinton and Talleysville
New Kent County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of New Kent County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
New Kent County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of New Kent County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the New Kent County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in New Kent county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. County court records were destroyed when John Posey burned the courthouse on 15 July 1787, and records created after that date were lost to fire in 1865.
- New Kent County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 98, Courthouse, 12001 Courthouse Circle, New Kent, VA 23124-0098
- Phone: (804) 966-9520
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Land Records: 1674
- Court Records: 1827
- Probate Records: 1820
- New Kent County Commissioner of Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; Virginia Obituary Records; Virginia Military Records; Virginia Family Tree Records; Virginia Pictures; Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
New Kent County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to New Kent County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite New Kent County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
New Kent Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
New Kent Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
New Kent Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- New Kent County, Virginia Land Tax Records, 1782 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
New Kent Co. VA Census Records
New Kent Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
New Kent Co. VA Church & Bible Records
New Kent Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
New Kent Co. VA General and History Websites
New Kent Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
New Kent Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
New Kent Co. VA Military Records
New Kent Co. VA Schools & Directories