Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy
Patrick County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Patrick Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Patrick County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.patrick.va.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1790 from Pittsylvania County and Henry County
- County Seat: Stuart
- Named After: Patrick Henry, governor of Virginia and U.S. Founding Father
- Bordering Counties: Carroll County (west), Floyd County (northwest), Franklin County (northeast), Henry County (east), Stokes County, North Carolina (south), Surry County, North Carolina (southwest).
- Cities & towns include: Stuart, Ararat, Claudville, Critz, Penn's Store, Meadows of Dan, Patrick Springs, Vesta, Woolwine, Russell Creek, Mayberry
Patrick County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Patrick County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Patrick County Historical Society and Museum,
P.O. Box 1045, Stuart, VA 24171, (540) 694-2840, (540) 694-3895
- Patrick County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1016, Stuart, VA 24171, 276-692-5920; They meet the 2nd Tuesday, night of each month in Stuart
- The Patrick County Library, has microfilm for Census Records, Slave Schedules, Mortality Schedules, The Enterprise Newspaper, and The
Bull Mountain Bugle Newspaper.
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Patrick County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Patrick County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Patrick County
- Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Patrick County
- Patrick County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Patrick Co. Virginia
Patrick County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Patrick County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Patrick County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Patrick County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Patrick County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 148, 101 Blue Ridge Street, Stuart, VA 24171-0148
- Phone: (276) 694-7213
- Marriage Records: 1791
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Probate Records: 1791
- Patrick County (VA) Treasurer
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Patrick County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Patrick County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Patrick County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Patrick Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Patrick Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Patrick Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Patrick Co. VA Census Records
Patrick Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Patrick Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Patrick Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Patrick Co. VA General and History Websites
Patrick Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Patrick Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Patrick Co. VA Military Records
Patrick Co. VA Schools & Directories