Prince George County, Virginia Genealogy
Prince George County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Prince George Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Prince George County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.princegeorgeva.org
- Created Date / Origin: 1702 from Charles City County
- County Seat: Prince George
- Named After: Prince George of Denmark, husband of Queen Anne
- Bordering Counties: Chesterfield County (northwest), Charles City County (north), Surry County (east), Sussex County (south), Dinwiddie County (west).
- Cities & towns include: There are currently no incorporated towns within Prince George County. Burrowsville, Disputanta, Fort Lee (a military base), Garysville, Jordan Point, New Bohemia, Newville, Prince George
Prince George County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Prince George County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Prince George County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Prince George County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Prince George County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Prince George county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Most county court records were burned during the Civil War. A few record books survived and, proving that there is always hope, the volume in which deeds and wills were recorded between 1710 and 1713 was found within the last decade.
- Prince George County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: P. O. Box 98, 6601 Courts Drive, Prince George, VA 23875-0098
- Phone: (804) 733-2640
- Marriage Records: 1865
- Land Records: 1710
- Court Records: 1713
- Probate Records: 1714
- Prince George County (VA) Treasurer
- Prince George County Commissioner of Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; Virginia Obituary Records; Virginia Military Records; Virginia Family Tree Records; Virginia Pictures; Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Prince George County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Prince George County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Prince George County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Prince George Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Prince George Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Prince George Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Prince George Co. VA Census Records
Prince George Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Prince George Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Prince George Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Prince George Co. VA General and History Websites
Prince George Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Prince George Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Prince George Co. VA Military Records
Prince George Co. VA Schools & Directories