Scott County, Virginia Genealogy
Scott County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Scott Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Scott County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.scottcountyva.com/
- Created Date / Origin: 1814 from Lee County, Russell County and Washington County
- County Seat: Gate City
- Named After: Winfield Scott, War of 1812 and later Mexican-American War general
- Bordering Counties: Wise County (north), Russell County (northeast), Washington County (east), Sullivan County, Tennessee (southeast), Hawkins County, Tennessee (south), Hancock County, Tennessee (southwest), Lee County (west).
- Cities & towns include: Clinchport, Duffield, Dungannon, Fort Blackmore, Gate City, Hiltons, Nickelsville, Weber City and Yuma
Scott County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Scott County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Scott County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Scott County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Scott County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following information indicates what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Scott County. The dates stated listed below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Scott County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: 202 West Jackson Street, Suite 102, Gate City, VA 24251-3012
- Phone: (276) 386-3801
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Land Records: 1815
- Court Records: 1815
- Probate Records: 1815
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Scott County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Scott County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Scott County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Scott Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Scott Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Scott Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Scott Co. VA Census Records
Scott Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Scott Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Scott Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Scott Co. VA General and History Websites
Scott Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Scott Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Scott Co. VA Military Records
Scott Co. VA Schools & Directories