Washington County, Virginia Genealogy
Washington County, Virginia family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you locate your Washington Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Washington County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.washcova.com/
- Created Date / Origin: 1776 from Fincastle County (Part of Montgomery County was added in 1777)
- County Seat: Abingdon
- Named After: George Washington, Revolutionary War commander, U.S. Founding Father, and future U.S. President
- Bordering Counties: Smyth County (northeast), Grayson County (east-southeast), Johnson County, Tennessee (south/southeast), Sullivan County, Tennessee (southwest), Scott County (west), Russell County (northwest).
- Cities & towns include: Abingdon, Damascus, Emory-Meadow View and Glade Spring
Washington County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Historical Society of Washington County, Old Courthouse, Main and Court Streets, P.O. Box 484, Abingdon, VA 24212-0484
- Holston Territory Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 433, Bristol, VA 24203-0433
- Washington County Public Library, Oak Hill and Valley Streets, Abingdon, VA 24210, (540) 676-6222
- Bristol Public Library, 701 Goode Street, Bristol, VA 24201, (540) 669-9444
- Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington County, Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Washington County
- Washington County, Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Washington County
- Washington County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Washington Co. Virginia
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget the value of Washington County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Virginia courthouses and archives everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless Virginia residents.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a few elements of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to get in touch with the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of staff will guide individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to perform the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Washington county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A minute book for the period 1787-1819 was lost as well as many loose papers in a fire in the clerk's office on 15 December 1864.
- Washington County Clerk of Circuit Courtserves as custodian of all county court records, and is responsible for providing access to those court records by court personnel, the legal community and the public.
- Address: Courthouse, 189 East Main Street, Abingdon, VA 24210-2838
- Phone: (276) 676-6224
- Marriage Records: 1782
- Land Records: 1778
- Court Records: 1777
- Probate Records: 1777
- Washington County (VA) Treasurer
- Washington County Commissioner of Revenue
- Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes (lva.virginia.gov) County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
Washington County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Washington County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Washington County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Washington Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. VA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washington Co. VA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Virginia Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Annals of Southwest Virginia, 1769-1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X (search.ancestry.com) The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Washington Co. VA Census Records
Washington Co. VA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washington Co. VA Church & Bible Records
Washington Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. VA General and History Websites
Washington Co. VA Immigration & Naturalization
Washington Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. VA Military Records
Washington Co. VA Schools & Directories